SHAFT COUPLINGS are used to join or COUPLE two shafts belonging to two separate machines or components, each shaft having its bearings, and the two shafts being more or less co-axial. Couplings must transmit both angular rotation and torque.
1. To provide for the connection of shafts of units those are manufactured separately such as a motor and generator and to provide for disconnection for repairs or alternations.
2. To provide for misalignment of the shafts or to introduce mechanical flexibility.
3. To reduce the transmission of shock loads from one shaft to another.
4. To introduce protection against overloads.
5. It should have no projecting parts.
Flexible shaft couplings can help prevent these issues by transmitting torque while also accommodating for parallel, axial, and angular misalignment between drive components.
High performance flexible shaft couplings can also reduce vibration, dampen noise, and protect drive shaft components from overload.